Reptile and Ostrich products would remain extremely elegant, refined and durable if given the right maintenance. Regardless of the different types of exotic leather, these basic guidelines would apply
- Always store your exotic leather products in cool, dry places to prevent the leather from succumbing to humidity or extreme heat (radiators or strong sunlight) over extended periods, especially in a warm and humid tropical environment like South East Asia’s.
- Exotic leather is organic and needs to “breathe”, therefore do not store them in plastic or airtight containers, which might eventually lead to issues like the growth of bacteria and mildew.
- If your handbag is not going to be used for some time, we would recommend that you stuff the inside with scrunched-up wax paper or plastic to maintain its shape, and keep it in its dust bag to prevent dust particles from settling onto the bag.
- We would not recommend using any cleaning agents or non-professional products on exotic leather as they could damage the leather.
- It is important to avoid contact with humidity (water, rain or snow) and chemicals or solvents (hand cream, perfumes or hairspray). Do avoid prolonged exposure to strong light and heat as well.
- Should your exotic leather product encounter any moisture or liquid on its surface, it is advisable to clean the affected spots with absorbent tissue papers as soon as possible. It is important to then allow it to dry naturally away from direct sources of heat.
- We would also not recommend that you overload your exotic leather handbag, as that would only add stress to the texture of the organic material, which might eventually lead to the deformation of the original shape of the bag.
- Occasionally, clean the exotic leather surfaces with dry microfiber cloths to remove the accumulation of dust and grime.
- As metal accessories are either gold-plated or chromed, they should also be polished regularly with dry microfiber cloths to remove any moisture, stains and dirt, which would help prevent or delay the onset of tarnishing.